Monday, September 5, 2011

Cinnamon Roll Cake

You know how much I love cinnamon rolls. I mean, really love cinnamon rolls. But they can be somewhat time consuming to make when you want one immediately. So what would be the next best thing? How about Cinnamon Roll Cake? I found this lovely recipe on another favorite blog Your Home Based Mom.


Cinnamon Roll Cake (from Your Home Based Mom)

For the cake:
3 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup melted butter

For the topping:
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Mix all cake ingredients together except for the melted butter. Slowly stir in melted butter. Pour batter into a 9x13 greased pan.
Mix all topping ingredients until well combined. Drop topping evenly over the cake batter and swirl with knife.
Bake at 350 F for 28 - 32 minutes. (I'm not sure why, maybe weather difference, but my cake baked for 45 minutes before a toothpick came out clean).

Now you see it . . . 
Now you don't!

Now for the glaze. I did not use the same recipe that went along with this cake. I like cream cheese frosting with my cinnamon rolls, so I knew I had to make a cream cheese frosting for this cinnamon roll cake. Here is what I came up with:

4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 ounces Mascarpone cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
4 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Cream the 2 cheeses together until smooth. Add powdered sugar, milk, orange juice and vanilla. Mix until well blended. You can play around with the milk and orange juice combination to your liking - add more liquid to make it more of a drizzly consistency.

Drizzle or in my case spread : ) over warm cake.

Hardest part of all this is trying to figure out if you want some
for breakfast or dessert. : )

1 comment: