Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Piano: "Someday, you will thank us."

Here is an interesting story: When I was a kid, my parents made me take piano lessons. I took lessons for 6 years. Throughout those years I wanted to quit. None of my friends were taking lessons and I felt like I was missing out on having fun because I was stuck inside practicing. My parents were hard core too, I had to practice almost an hour every day. I whined a lot about having to take lessons. In response to all the whining my parents would repeatedly say, "Someday, you will thank us." After 6 years, I got my wish and my parents let me decide if I wanted to quit. I did. But I went on to play the flute as well as the saxophone. At the time I would never admit it was because I took piano lessons that I was able to pick up playing other instruments so easily.

Fast forward to present time: I plan on having Sophia and Kalista take piano lessons. Oh and I will be taking them again as well. I am so thankful my parents gave me the opportunity to experience a musical education. They were right!

David and I always said if one day we bought a house big enough for a baby grand piano then we would buy one. Well, that one day has arrived! David surprised me with a beautiful Yamaha baby grand. David had an iPod piano player installed so we can listen to a variety of music, just in case the girls and I don't master the sounds of Chopin or Mozart.

No comments:

Post a Comment