Sunday, August 9, 2015

Happy 8th Birthday Sophia


Dearest Sophia Grace,

Well it happened again. I blinked and another year passed. All of sudden you are 8 years old. I feel like this last year went by the fastest. I hope this doesn't mean from here on out all the years will be the same as this last one. But I have a feeling I better buckle up and hold on tight.

Sophia, you continue to surprise me. Just when I think I have you figured out (stupid me - yes, I used the 'S' word), I get thrown for another loop. There are plenty of times I don't understand you. But always in retrospect I come to the realization that you are developing your own ways. You are on your journey of becoming a young adult.

What has surprised me the most is your ever growing perseverance. If there was one word to describe you it would be, 'determined.' I honestly don't know any other kid at this age who is as determined as you. It doesn't matter the challenge or how many tears might shed along the way . . . YOU'LL NEVER GIVE UP. And I am not going to lie, there have been times I thought it would have been best to throw in the towel. But deep down, I knew there was no way on this Earth that was ever going to happen. So in the simplest of modern day terms, "YOU ROCK!"

Sophia, you are so focused. It's quite astounding. I have friends that 'joke' around and call me, "Tiger Mom" (I will explain that to you one day soon). But truth be known, as you already know, IT'S ALL YOU. And although I worry about the stress you put on yourself, I also know I can't change who you are. There are times I worry so much it's like I am the one trying to accomplish the task at hand. My stomach is in knots for you. My palms sweat for you. My heart races for you. My nights are restless for you. And another admission on my part . . . sometimes I want to change your stubborn determination to make my life easier, but in the end it would be like changing your genetic make-up. ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE.

I have a great admiration for your ability to ignore what others are doing. You are so focused on yourself. That is a great quality. So many kids, as well as adults, feel self-worth and confidence when applying life's challenges as a a competition. At this juncture in your life it is school and sports. But you, my dear, have mastered the best of both worlds by making yourself the most important competitor; which in turn has crushed some others along the way.

Aside from the shenanigans of growing up, you truly have a tender heart of gold. You have a lot of compassion for others and a soft, gentle soul. I am reminded of these treasures when you watch over the younger siblings of friends, when I see you cry when watching a sad part of a movie, and when you help your classmates are struggling through the day's lesson. And even though Kalista drives you insane sometimes a lot, you always have her back like a big sister should. Even if it means ganging up on ME! I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sophia, you are a beautiful young lady inside and out. I wish I could slow down time. But I can't. So the next best thing is to be here for you until you no longer need me. I hope that day never comes. 

Happy Birthday my love,

Mommy

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog through a friend of a friend a while back. Small world, I was at whole foods in Oxnard at the collection and recognized you from your blog. Hope you enjoyed the collection!

    ReplyDelete