Friday, January 17, 2014

My New Slow Cooker & Gumbo

The other day I asked Sophia what she wanted for dinner. Her response, "Gumbo." My response, "Huh? What did you say?" Sophia's response, "You made it last winter and I really liked it!" Well she was right. I did make it before. Like a whole year ago. I swear kids have the best memories. I can't even remember what I ate on Monday let alone last year.

Perfect time to play with this shiny beauty Darling Hubby bought me for Christmas.
Yes, I wanted a new crock pot for Christmas. What can I say? I am a simple gal.
Go to Williams-Sonoma and pick one up!

This dish is super easy. And if the weather in California was actually "winter-like" it would be a perfect dinner for a chilly night. But no matter when you decide to make it, I promise it will be yummy! Just ask my 6 year old. :)

Recipe adapted from Williams-Sonoma

2 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into just less than 1 inch pieces 
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 pound smoked sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
5 celery stalks, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 bell peppers (any color), seeded and chopped
3/4 bag of whole frozen okra, chopped
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups chicken stock
One 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
salt
pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Start Cooking:
In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a slow cooker, then add the sausages. Scatter the okra, bell pepper, celery and onion on top. 

Make the roux:
Return the fry pan to medium heat and warm the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle the flour in the pan and cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in the broth and the tomatoes with their juice and increase the heat to medium-high. When the mixture comes to a boil, remove the pan from the heat. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, then pour the mixture over the vegetables, chicken and sausages. 

Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Adjust the seasonings with salt and cayenne. 
Ladle the gumbo over steamed rice and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment